Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Does Grammar Matter? Absolutely!

Does Grammar Matter? Absolutely!

I'm constantly amazed by the sloppy use of email in the business world. I don't understand why such little effort goes into some basic emails. Is it because emailing is now part of a routine resulting in no extra thought? I admit, I may be a bit tough when it comes to grammar and phrasing expectations, but I still think there should be a minimum standard for anyone sending a business email.
If you use email on a regular basis in your career, please realize that sending an email with blatant grammar errors truly does reflect on your professionalism. Email has become an integral part of building a business relationship. Because of that, email contributes to how others form opinions about you.

Not too long ago, I received an email from someone who used "hear" when they should have used "here". It was one of my first contacts with the person, and it leapt off the screen. It did, in fact, contribute to my overall opinion of the person's business savvy, attention to detail, and intelligence.
I admire people who can write effectively yet casually enough so it seems as if they are speaking the words directly to me. Unfortunately, I struggle with that skill a bit. Maybe it's because I'm focused too much on getting the wording exactly right. On the other hand, I have seen some people take this "style" to the extreme. Run-on sentences...half-finished thoughts trailing into each other...excessive use of aposiopesis ...casual to the point of being unreadable...
Correct grammar may not always be a black and white issue. I do acknowledge that there can be more than one way to correctly write the same thing. I'm not sure I agree with everything on the following web pages but here are a few interesting places to brush up on your grammar:

10 Flagrant Grammar Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39273376,00.htm

Most Annoying Grammar Mistakes in English - http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/commonerrorsinenglish.html

Five Grammatical Errors That Make You Look Dumb - http://www.copyblogger.com/5-common-mistakes-that-make-you-look-dumb/

Our guest blogger is Susan Larkin, CTS, CSP, Vice President of Allied Personnel. Allied Personnel Services is a partner of FurstStaffing through ANSERTEAM, a group of independently owned staffing firms throughout North America who work together to service regional and national accounts. Allied Personnel has been a pioneer in Eastern Pennsylvannia's staffing industry since its founding in 1984. Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!! www.alliedps.com

No comments: